A loooong while ago I posted a recipe for Cowboy Chilli, I have to say that it has been some time since we have made it, but, seeing as I now am beating the drum and trying to promote healthy eating through Vegan or Vegetarian choices without sacrificing taste we thought we would give this number a go and substitute the meat for Quorn mince instead. I can vouch for it and say that it was an utterly successful transition, and is still very tasty, very spicy and utterly delicious.
What do I need?
- 500g Quorn mince
- 250ml percolated strong coffee
- 50ml of Jack Daniels (this is where the fire comes in!)
- 3 large dried chillies
- Olive Oil
- 2 heaped teaspoons of Ground Cumin
- 2 heaped teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1 heaped teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 red onions peeled and diced
- 3 fresh green chillies
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves of garlic peeled and sliced
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1.5 tablespoons of molasses or muscavado sugar
- 1 x red, yellow, or orange peppers de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 x 400g of kidney, butter, or pinto beans
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
What do I do?
- Make your coffee and while its hot soak your dried chillies to rehydrate them in the coffee
- Pop your large casserole pan on medium heat and add some olive oil
- Fry off your cumin, paprika oregano, bay leaves and onions for 10 mins until onions have softened
- De-seed and chop your fresh chillies
- Slice up your re-hydrated chillies and add to the onion mix along with half of your fresh green chillies, sliced garlic, cinnamon sticks and splash of the chilli infused coffee, salt and pepper and add in your Quorn mince to fry off.
- Stir and add the rest of the coffee and the tinned tomatoes, molasses or sugar
- Cover and simmer on low heat for around 30-45mins.
- after 15-20mins of simmering, Flambé 50ml of Jack Daniels in a separate frying pay and burn off the alcohol, throw remnants into the sauce mix, simmer for another 20-25mins.
- Serve chilli with some Rice and corn Taco’s and nice cold beers.
Serves 4-6 people.