Over the weekend we saw some sunshine, therefore I dutifully spent my Sunday afternoon putting together my garden furniture that had been hibernating in our shed over the winter months. I dared to believe that this was the official start of the summer?, after several hours and many mistakes later, I finally got to sit at the table and chairs and admire my handy work! Not only that, but Monday was also a glorious day and it was the first time in the season that Dave and I got to dine alfresco with a Roast Lemon and Paprika Chicken!
The great thing about this dish is that you just throw it all together in one dish and fire it into the oven for 45mins mins, you can then use that time to loll about the garden, flick through a magazine, sip a glass of wine.. the list is endless. This is a great one to serve if you have friends round because it means you can take the time to chat and enjoy yourself and the dinner takes care of itself!
This particular dish uses Chorizo. Chorizo is a staple in our house, we use it quite often, the sausage is full of wonderful colour and flavour and when you cook it it releases all its lovely paprika oils giving gorgeous colour. The lemon, roast garlic, chorizo and olives give this dish a lovely Mediterranean flare, so there is no better way to enjoy it then eating it outside in the sunshine. Serve with crunchy green salad or creamy mash potato.
What do I need?
- 1.5 kg chicken pieces
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 cup pitted black olives (these are optional, throw them in for saltiness they provide)
- 2 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 50 grams butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper.
What do I do?
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Place the chicken, lemon, olives, chorizo, garlic, stock and butter in a baking dish, and sprinkle with paprika.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is golden and cooked through. Serves 4.
Source: Donna Hay Magazine – Issue 59
(photography: David McClelland)