I am always looking for those fresh flavours that signal summer. Summer to me is all about maximum flavour with minimum effort, you want to maximize your outdoor time, instead of slaving away in a hot kitchen, so there is no better way to do this then to look to Mexico for inspiration!
This next recipe is a simple offering that is packed with loads of flavour and provides a little heat. Coriander, spring onions, chillies, limes, garlic, paprika bring a little Mexicana Fiesta to your table! This is a great party dish as its all about sharing, so helps keep things informal and relaxed, bringing diners together.
This particular recipe calls for chicken thighs, Chicken thighs have two benefits, they are cheaper and they tend to be a little more succulent. We marinated our thighs in a spicy marinade before throwing on the hot griddle. We also lightly seared red bell peppers for crunch.
The chicken and the Salsa Verde are the main contenders in this recipe, wrapped inside a warm tortilla with sour cream and guacamole providing the cooling effect. This is dining that is simple, fast and fresh. ” ¡Comer con gusto!”
What do I need?
- 4 x 200g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- 1 bunch of Coriander leaves,
- 2 limes
- 1 Avocado
- 1 red Chilli
- 1 small tub of Sour Cream.
- 1 packet of Flour Tortilla wraps
- 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 green onions roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
What do I do?
- Turn oven on to lowest setting and place your plates inside.
- Prepare your pre bought flour tortilla wraps by sprinkling each tortilla with a little water then stacking them together, wrap in tin foil and place in the oven alongside the plates.
- Prpare the chicken, cut chicken thighs into strips and mix with onion salt, chilli power, oregano, paprika and oil in a bowl and toss to coat. – set aside.
- Place the chili, garlic, green onion, coriander, mint and vegetable oil in a food processor and pulse until combined. Set aside later for serving. Makes 1 cup (250ml).
- Scoop out flesh of 1 ripe Avocado
- Chop and de-seed 1 red chilli and add to the Avocado
- Squeeze in juice of 1/2 lime and mix to combine. Set aside later for serving
- Turn out tub of sour cream into a serving bowl, sprinkle lightly over the top with course black pepper. set aside.
- Preheat a char-grill pan or barbecue over high heat. Char-grill or barbecue the chicken for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Chop 1 red bell pepper into lengthy strips and toss on the hot griddle for 1 min.
- Place the Chicken in a serving bowl, with pepper and bring the Salsa Verde, Guacamole and sour cream to the table along with hot plates and the tortilla wraps. Serve with extra fresh bowl of coriander leaves and lime wedges. Cold Beers optional.
(Photography: David McClelland)