I am currently in Berlin, where the weather is mild and sunny and the asparagus season has begun. Every restaurant I have been in is including the Asparagus on the menu, its picked seasonally and used immediately in all the dishes. I am a big fan of asparagus, so its only fitting that I include a very tasty little Asparagus Risotto recipe.
This recipe is a wonderful one that is full of flavour and is brilliant as a little midweek treat!, it takes a little time with all the stirring, but think of it as a workout before your indulgence and your guilt will just evaporate!
What do I need?
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 600g risotto rice
- 250ml white wine
- 2 bunches of asparagus, sliced
- 700ml stock
- 100g butter
- 60g grated parmesan
- chopped mint, to serve
- lemon zest, to serve
What do I do?
- In a large pan, fry the onion and celery stalks in some olive oil and butter until soft.
- Get your stock ready and set aside
- Add the risotto rice, turn up the heat and stir for a minute or so until the rice turns translucent.
- Add the white wine and stir until evaporated.
- Add the asparagus and begin to add the stock 1 ladleful at a time, each time wait until the liquid is evaporated before adding another ladle, keep repeating until the rice and asparagus are cooked. Season generously.
- Turn off the heat and beat in the butter and Parmesan, and sprinkle with chopped mint and lemon zest to finish.
(Photography: David McClelland)