As its nearly the weekend, I have decided to share with you a hot and spicy Mediterranean dish that will be sure to get your temperature rising. Piri Piri Chicken is an aromatic and very fragrant way to laze away a Sunday afternoon and is also a great dish for sharing. Be warned, if you like spice, you will like this dish.
This recipe is a bit fiddly, but if you do all your preparation before hand its simply a matter of timing, turning then eating. Once again we thank our legendary Jaime Oliver for this classic dish.
What do I need?
- 4 large chicken thighs, preferably higher welfare, skin on and bone in
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 1 medium potato
- 2 sweet potatoes
- ½ lemon
- 1 fresh red chilli
- A bunch of fresh coriander
- 50g (1¾oz) feta cheese
- Olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
For the Piri Piri Sauce
- ½ red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 bird’s-eye chillies
- 1tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 lemon
- 2tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- A bunch of fresh basil
What Do I Do?
- Get all your ingredients and equipment ready.
- Turn the oven on to 200C/ gas 6.
- Put a large griddle pan on a high heat.
- Wash the potato and halve lengthways. Put them into a large microwave-safe bowl with ½ a lemon. Cover with clingfilm and set aside
- Peel and roughly chop the red onion and add to the liquidiser with 2 peeled cloves of garlic. Add the chillies (stalks removed), 1tbsp paprika, the zest of 1 lemon and juice of ½ a lemon. Add 2tbsp white wine vinegar, 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce, a good pinch of salt and pepper, the bunch of basil and a swig of water. Blitz until smooth, set aside for moment.
- Put the chicken thighs on a plastic chopping board, skin side down, and slash the meat on each one a few times. Drizzle with olive oil and season, then put on the griddle pan that is heating up, skin side down. Cook until golden underneath, then turn over. Wash your hands.
- Put Spuds into the microwave on full power for 15 minutes.
- Slice the peppers into strips and add to the griddle pan. Turn the heat down to medium and keep moving the peppers around.
- Pour the piri piri sauce into a snug-fitting roasting tray. Lay the peppers on top and put aside. Add the chicken to the roasting tray with the sauce. Scatter over the sprigs of thyme, then put the tray into the middle of the oven until cooked through (10 – 15 mins depending on your oven)
- While chicken is in the oven, Finely chop the red chilli and most of the coriander on a board, mixing as you go. Add the feta and keep chopping and mixing.
- Check the potatoes are cooked through, then use tongs to squeeze over the cooked lemon. Add the coriander mixture from the chopping board and mix everything together. Season, then take to the table and tuck right in!