Wondering what to cook for midweek tasty dinner? well look no further! Yesterday I made these gorgeous Chicken Satay skewers with a Fiery noodle salad, everything was done in under 30 minutes! that is my kind of cooking!
Having authentic Asian food doesn’t always have to be a treat that is reserved for the weekends, why not have something during the week that is made fresh at home! It makes dinner time that much more exciting, and lets face it, that much more enjoyable.
This particular recipe is an old favourite that I picked up from my travels, and its so easy to make, again, just chuck everything into a blender, and hey presto, you have something packed with flavour and hot hot heat. I forgot all about this recipe until I went through the kitchen fridge looking for something quick and easy that didn’t require me leaving the house to shop for extra ingredients, and thank god I did remember! it meant that I could enjoy it like it was the first time I had tasted it, and it was a reunion I won’t forget!
So, this particular recipe calls for ginger, chillies, coriander, limes, peanut butter for the sauce! , it is refreshingly sweet and zingy, and has a little bit of a fiery kick with the chillies!
Want a pick me up during the week? then go ahead and give this Chicken Satay Recipe a bash! you wont be disappointed!
Enjoy with friends or on your own, either way you won’t be disappointed
What do I need?
For the Satay Sauce:-
- Half bunch of Coriander (stalks and all)
- Segment of ginger
- 1 fresh chilli (or 2 if you can stand it!)
- 1 clove of Garlic
- Zest and juice of x1 Lime
- 3 heaped tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter
- 1x teaspoon of soy sauce
2 x Handfuls of cashew nuts
For the Spicy Noodle Salad:-
- 500g egg noodles ( or instant noodles if you have them handy)
- Half bunch of coriander and fresh parsley
- 1 chilli (de-seeded)
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2tbsn honey
- 3tbsn soy sauce
- 3tbsn fish sauce
- 2tbsn canola oil
What do I do?
- To a food processor combine all the Satay Sauce ingredients and whizz up until a thick paste has formed , add a little water if needed to loosen the mix
- Pour half of the sauce into a bowl and set aside.
- Pour the other half into a roasting tray.
- Slice the chicken breasts into big chunks and skewer onto wooden skewers. (soak the wooden skewers for a few minutes before skewering the chicken). Place the chicken skewers into the roasting tray and coat in the satay sauce. Grill/roast the skewers until the chicken is cooked and they are golden.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water, then drain again.
- In a dry pan add the crushed cashew nuts and toast slightly, then crank up heat and add drizzle of honey, take of heat and put in a serving bowl and place on dinner table.
- Combine the cooked noodles with the coriander/parsley and peanuts.
- Combine the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, honey, soy, fish sauce and canola oil in a little bowl and mix well. Pour over the noodles and toss to combine.
- Serve the fiery noodles with the chicken skewers and extra satay sauce and cashew nuts for serving. Enjoy!
(Photography by : David McClelland)